Guitar Monk Corporate

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 18 March 2010

Ultimate Classic Guitar Arrangements: Yankee Doodle Dixie

Posted on 01:27 by Unknown
This brilliant gem by the late, great Chet Atkins is really unique in all of the pop guitar repertoire, so far as I am aware. Chet basically took two preexisting melodies and combined them into counterpoint - cantus prius factus as it's called - which is a really clever trick that doesn't work very often. In this case, Dixie is in the lead in the A sections, while Yankee Doodle is the bass part. Now, from a Bachian contrapuntal perspective there are a few crudities, but to our modern ears and in this country and western jazz idiom, those don't bother in the least. In fact, they add to the coolness, IMO. The B sections are just a countrified swing version of the Dixie B section, so the combo is only in the A's.

The original recording is with a band, but it was very easy to extract the basic tune and have it as a solo piece. In the arrangement here I wanted to keep it on two pages, so the form is A, A', B, A, Coda: The bare bones. In actual performance, I play it, A, A', B, A', B, A, Coda. the coda - well, codetta, actually - is the opening lick of the US national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner. Since this is the last piece in my set before any encores, I eventually plan to have an arrangement of the whole US national anthem here, and that's getting close to the top of my to-do list now, but it's not done yet. Chet ends the piece with a dominant seventh/diminished fifth sonority, which is hilarious, but it just didn't work in my set, so I changed it.

Here's the MIDI to AAC conversion of the score.

Yankee Doodle Dixie - Chet Atkins

And the score.



I made no changes to the music in the A sections at all. The only thing I had to do was work out a legit classical style fingering. I did make a few changes in the B section though, as Chet was fond of putting lots of little trills and stuff in, and that sort of goes against my esthetic. You could call the changes simplifications, but I just consider them streamlining the music and making it more mechanically efficient. At the end of measure 10 there is a G-natural in the lead on the last quarter. Chet plays that an octave lower using the open G string. Yeah, it's funny and all, but I just didn't like the effect, so I changed that too. He does this again on the next page.



At the end of measure 14 is the other G-natural I raised an octave, and other than scrubbing the trills, that's it for changes to the music. This is not an easy piece to execute - especially at the manic tempo Chet played it at (I don't scream through it, and think it's actually more effective just a smidge slower) - but it sure is fun once you get it down. It's also kind of un-PC, which is an added bonus if you are libertarian minded, as I am.

*****


I haven't been blogging much the past few weeks because I got a gig offer I couldn't refuse. No, not a mobster's party, but a student's wedding in Las Vegas. So, since I had been rebuilding my set from scratch, I had to pour on the practice hours to get ready. I combined it with a little coffee house warm up gig in Tucson, where I have a free place to crash, and I may also do another little deal there on the way back: Friday and Sunday in Tucson, and Saturday in Las Vegas. I need a road trip about now. I've been all work and no play for far too long. Added bonus to that tight schedule will be that I won't have time to gamble. lol.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Preview: Ultimate Classical Guitar Arrangements
    I have finally finished entering the notation for all of the pieces in my set, and I have the fingerings done for my originals and the stan...
  • Heavy Nylon Demo 2
    Welp, I finished the second of the three demos working up to the Heavy Nylon CD, and you can download all seventeen MP3's here. Here...
  • And, the Hits Just Keep On Coming /sarc
    Yes, I have gotten sidetracked from the Freestyle Convertible Counterpoint series, but composition is little else than side tracks; some of...
  • ErgoPlay Review/Further Blackbird Rider Thoughts
    My initial review of the Blackbird Rider Nylon is here. The Rider came with a NeckUp support - and I now now why they did that - but the ...
  • MIDI Guitar: The Axon AX-100 Mk II
    I've decided to get back into MIDI guitar and synthesis after about twenty years since I was a Synclavier guitarist back in the 80'...
  • Musical Implications of the Harmonic Overtone Series: Appendix II
    ***** Contrapuntal Musical Examples ***** Again, real living music combines aspects of all five of the musical elements, but today's exa...
  • Happy Holidays
    I had hoped to get a post together on how I am creating virtual guitar parts with my notation program - notating on six staves, one for each...
  • Legendary Guitarist and Inventor Les Paul Has Died
    Les Paul, the man responsible for creating one of history's most iconic guitars, as well as overdubbing and multitrack recording, has d...
  • Ma, Pearlman, Montero and McGill Play to Tape at Obama Inaugural
    I've been following this story since the revelation was made, but this is the best story about it that I've yet read, as the main i...
  • Why Music Works: Chapter Ten
    The Alien Diatonic Contextual Systems: Eta, Theta, and Iota PREFACE to All Posts: This is to be the culmination of the Musical Relativity s...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (16)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2012 (23)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2011 (13)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ▼  2010 (56)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ▼  March (4)
      • Nice Trip to Tucson and Las Vegas
      • The Ultimate Guitar and Guitar Synth Mobile Record...
      • Ultimate Classic Guitar Arrangements: Yankee Doodl...
      • Joseph Schillinger Inspired Guitar Pieces
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (7)
  • ►  2009 (51)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2008 (54)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2007 (105)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (11)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (9)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (8)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2006 (131)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (17)
    • ►  February (26)
    • ►  January (21)
  • ►  2005 (51)
    • ►  December (20)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (13)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile